When it comes to your commercial building or property, the chances are you have a flat roof. And the average lifespan for a flat roof tends to fall around 20-30 years, depending on the type of flat roof you have installed. So how do you know when your roof needs replacing? What should you consider when thinking about re-roofing your commercial property? Here at Enviroply Roofing, we are Lancashire’s leading flat roofing experts, specialising in commercial and industrial roofing. We work with companies and businesses around Lancashire and the North West, to deliver the highest quality, effective flat roofing solutions. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you need to know about commercial roof replacement.
Does your roof need replacing?
So how will you know that your commercial roof needs replacing? Well, there are some signs, including:
- The age of your roof- as said above, commercial flat roofs generally only last for up to 30 years. For some types of felt roof, the longevity can be as low as 15 years. So if your roof is older than that, it could be time to think about replacing it. Before any serious damage is caused.
- Maintenance- another reason to think about getting a new roof installed is the level of maintenance and upkeep your current roof requires. If it is in need of repair, the damage caused can lead to all sorts of problems, both inside your property, and to the structure itself. You could be losing a lot of energy, and money, through any minor damaged areas, that you may have overlooked. Installing a new roof can help your property stay thermally efficient, and prevent serious damage.
Considerations for commercial roof replacement
But before you jump into replacing your roof, there are some considerations you should take into account. These include:
- Asbestos- The ‘Control of Asbestos Regulation 2012’ states that any building; domestic or commercial which is found to have asbestos present is required to be assessed; then if necessary, have it removed. While some forms of asbestos will not need to removed, if they don’t pose a health risk, many other forms will. So before you take down your existing roof, make sure it has been asbestos tested.
- The environment- Additionally, you should consider thermal efficiency, and the environment. Choosing a type of roof that is designed to insulate your property, and reduce the amount of heat lost is a great option both for you, and the environment. As it means you will need to use less gas and electricity to heat your building, and this will also mean you save on bills.
- Fire safety and B Roof(t4)- When replacing your commercial roof, fire safety and B Roof(t4) classifications are both essential considerations to take into account.
Commercial flat roofing options
So if you are ready to consider commercial roof replacement, why not think about:
- Single Ply Roofing- this type of roofing involves installing sheets of synthetic polymer that are 100% waterproof, and fully flexible and stable. These sheets are sealed at the joints to create a lasting, waterproof result.
- Hot melt Roofing- applied as a liquid directly onto the surface of your roof deck , hot melt roofing is incredibly waterproof, and weather resistant. It can withstand temperatures of up to -18 degrees, and is incredibly long lasting. In fact, some hot melt roofing systems can last up to 50 years.
For more information or advice about your commercial roofing options, and commercial roof replacement, get in touch with the professionals today, here at Enviroply Roofing.